The correct answer to the Prep Rules quiz is the skill performed in the provided video is Illegal in Prep. Let’s walk through the Prep Rules document to see how we came to the ruling of illegal.
1. The skill performed is an Individual skill because there is no contact between the executing dancer and another dancer.
2. The skill is an inverted skill which means we would look at Prep Rule 1.
3. Now look at provisions a., b., and c.
a. Non airborne skills must involve hand support with at least one hand throughout the skill (Example: headstand)
b. Airborne skills with or without hand support are not allowed. (Exception: kip-up originating from the performance surface with hand support)
c. Inverted skills with hand support are not allowed while holding poms/props in supporting hand(s).
4. The skill is not airborne and there are not poms or props in the supporting hands so we know rules 1.b. and 1.c. will not apply.
5. Now let’s go back to 1.a. The head spin does not have both hands on the floor at the same time for a brief moment so the skill is illegal.
The explanation is based on the 2017-18 version of the dance rules dated August 30, 2017.